If you’re searching for a new roommate, you know it might be tricky to locate the perfect one. You need someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How do you ensure that you choose the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to assist you!
- Define what you’re searching for in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and utilize it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Don’t forget to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you unhappy), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. While you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s also critical to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it extremely difficult to locate a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You possibly know more people than you realize who could be searching for a roommate. Therefore, an excellent starting point is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and check if you already know someone who might make an excellent roommate. Then reach out and ask them! By letting people know that you are looking for a roommate, you could end up discovering someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone searching for a roommate, that’s alright! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to stay. Also, since your friend or family member also knows you, they might be able to recommend someone you would get along with really well.
- Use social media. To extend your search, consider using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let others know you’re looking for a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and avoid giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re trying to find a roommate on your own, there are services available that can assist you. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Various services operate in different ways, and there may be fees involved. Make certain to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve spoken to a couple of potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your judgment! If you’re struggling to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would best fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.